Whistler, BC, Canada – where I would love to be at this moment!
I was thinking of 2014 and I realized how important what I am doing at this very moment contributes to my future – no earth shattering news there but sometimes I catch myself going through the motions and not really living or paying attention to what I am doing.
I decided, to quote my favorite movie “Shaswhank Redemption”, get “busy living” instead of get “busy dying”. I decided to take a look at my present behavior to see if I am conducting myself in a way that benefits my future. What seeds am I planting?
Here are the questions I am asking myself, and in a way here is my self improvement list:
1) Am I getting enough sleep and drinking enough water?
2) Am I learning to accept, love and take care of my body the way it deserves?
3) Am I watching what I eat and drink? Am I getting enough protein and less sugar?
4) Am I making sure I am not overindulging in anything, and letting any one thing control me? Chocolate, TV, even a good thing such as exercise can become an addiction if I let it control me.
5) Am I reading more and watching less? Books are food for my mind and soul, TV can sometimes desensitize us and make us life observers and not participants. (of course there are bad books and good TV shows too!)
6) Am I making sure I am not wasting my time online with useless distractions? Online life can be addictive and unreal.
7) Am I simplifying my life? Getting rid of the excess, old and unused? Donate, trade, re-purpose!
8) Am I recycling and not wasting resources?
9) Am I keeping clean surroundings? A clean desk, house, mind means more efficiency.
10) Am I respecting my parents and my elders? Am respecting their opinions, their limitations?
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death. ~Anaïs Nin
11) Am I being kind to strangers? Am I being kind to all, especially when it is most difficult to do?
12) Am I surrounding myself with quality people, good energy people? Am staying away from negativity?
13) Am I getting myself out in the world and networking and cultivating good relationships?
14) Am I updating my resume and qualifications? Am I being ready and prepared should I come to need it?
15) Am I giving back to the community, to the world? Am I volunteering my time and energy to worthwhile causes? Am I donating money?
16) Am I obeying the laws, written and unwritten?
He who knows others is learned;
He who knows himself is wise.
17) Am I being moral and ethical? Am I making sure that I am not taking shortcuts?
18) Am I replacing old bad habits with new good ones? For example, taking a walk after dinner instead of sitting in front of the TV.
19) Am I facing my fears and getting out of my comfort zone? This is the where and when my soul shines and my self esteem rises!
20) Am I smiling often? Am I smiling when things are good and smiling even more when things are bad?
21) Am I making sure I am not settling for less than what I deserve for fear (of something, the unknown, of being alone, etc)?
“It takes courage…to endure the sharp pains of self discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives.”
― Marianne Williamson
22) Am I talking less and listening more? Am I using my words for the good?
23) Am I using my skills and talents to the best of my abilities?
24) Am I always learning something new? (to me this is the key to staying young)
25) Am I praying and having positive thoughts throughout my day? Am I trusting the God/Universe/Light within me?
26) Am I being in the moment? Am I being conscious of my actions and not going through life as a robot?
27) Am I forgiving and forgetting? Am I forgiving others for wronging me?
28) Am forgiving myself for past mistakes? Am I taking corrective measures to right and wrong but not dwelling in it?
29) Am I learning to ask for help and accept help when I need it? Am I offering help?
30) Am I creating goals and working towards achieving them?
All men should strive to learn before they die
what they are running from, and to, and why.
31) Am I keeping stress at bay, by learning to relax, breathing and hitting pause when necessary?
32) Am I being non-reactive? Am I making sure that I am not being impulsive with my actions?
33) Am I being financially responsible and living within my means? Am I cutting out unnecessary expenses? Am I having respect for my money and the hard work I put in to get it?
34) Am I accepting people as they are, and not imposing my will on them? Am I being non-judgmental?
35) Am I welcoming pain, problems, obstacles, challenges, etc, as a growth opportunity? Am I looking at the situation and learning from it?
36) Am I loving when hating would be easier?
37) Am I being grateful for all I have been blessed with? I am honoring my blessings and not taking anything for granted?
This is an on-going list as I am a work-in-progress!
“It is necessary … for a man to go away by himself … to sit on a rock … and ask, ‘Who am I, where have I been, and where am I going?”
― Carl Sandburg
My favorite flowers: daisies!