“Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
Whispering ‘it will be happier’…”
A New Year is upon us. It feels like 2019 just barely started and it is already over. What have I done in 2019? What have I accomplished? If I were to take inventory of 2019 I don’t think I would like the results. I am older, achier, exhausted.
The idea that I wasted a whole year is just grim. With that in mind, should I go through the motions of creating new plans and resolutions for 2020 that I know I will never follow through with them?
I think that what I need to do is to start finishing off old projects and following my passions. Here are some of them:
- Ski more– at least I went to Colorado in the beginning of December, need to go again before the end of the season
- Learn French – I do know a lot words and was able to make some small talk, but have not continued studying, so I lost it all. Need to pick it up again and not let go
- Fix my hip issues – Attempted to work on it, but didn’t care for what the doctor suggested. I need to choose another route instead of just doing nothing
- Lose weight – the eternal drama that gets worst with age as metabolism slows down. Looking at pictures from prior years I realize that I was not really fat when I thought I was fat. Message here: Enjoy the now! We are never as bad as we think we are. So let’s love and accept ourselves NOW!
- Start doing mosaics again – One of my passions. Had to pack up my stuff when my sister moved in. I thought about renting a studio to work on them. My realtor found me a cheap place, but even at $850.00 I still cannot see myself investing that much per month on a hobby. Need to try to look for lessons again.
- Read more – Finish all the books that I have started. I have at least 20 books that have been started. I hear of a subject, an author, I buy the book, I read 1 page, put it aside and move on to the next. My sister and I decided to do a book club. Book club of 2, but at least that way we are both forced to finish a book.
What projects do you intend to start or finish in 2020?
“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re Doing Something.
So that’s my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody’s ever made before. Don’t freeze, don’t stop, don’t worry that it isn’t good enough, or it isn’t perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.
Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, Do it.
Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
At the end of the year I choose some charities to donate to. I try to choose causes that are close to my heart, such as Education, Homelessness, Children and the Elderly.
I always donate to theses 3:
- BuildOn https://www.buildon.org/ – Their focus is education and I am acquainted with some people closely involved with it.
- Blessed Sacramento Church – https://blessedsacramentnr.com/ – A church in my neighborhood. I believe it is good to help out local places.
- Meals on Wheels of New Rochelle – http://www.mownewrochelle.org/ – our local meal delivery service.
Along with those I always donate to some GoFund causes as I come across them. They normally involve children or injustice.
I also alternate donating to some of the following:
- Doctors Without Borders – https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
- National Alliance to End Homelessness – https://endhomelessness.org/
- Catholic Relief Services – https://www.crs.org/
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund – https://www.hsf.net/
- International Rescue Committee – https://help.rescue.org/
This year I was helping out another local church with their soup kitchen until I suspected that my donations were being misused. I am in search of another local place to help throughout the year.
I normally check https://www.charitynavigator.org/ for ideas and reviews on charities.
What causes/charities are close to your heart?
“Help others without any reason and give without the expectation of receiving anything in return.”―
I WISH YOU ALL LOVE AND LIGHT! MAY 2020 BE MAGICAL!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS AND LOVE IN 2019!